Saturday, September 18, 2010

Unexpected and Dangerous Surprise!

Had a terrific 51 mile ride on Friday! However, on the way back, about 35 miles into the ride, I saw a dead snake in the road. As I rode past it, I just about jumped out of my bike shorts realizing it was a rattlesnake! I stopped and dismounted my bike and walked it back to where the snake was in order to get a closer look. When I got to within a few feet from the snake it started to slowly coil. Holy crap, the damn thing was alive and was just sunning himself on the concrete! I kept the bike between myself and the rattler and circled around him. It was truely fasinating to just watch this piece of nature. The snake kept his head on the concrete and I'm not sure if he was even concerned with my presence. However, I figured it was time to move on and did so. I really wanted to get him off the highway, but didn't have a 100 foot stick to do it with! Still, it was kind of neat to see a rattlesnake that close......Mike

No comments: