Sunday, October 17, 2010

Running again, someday

I'm going to tell a story and it might sound like I'm feeling sorry for myself. I'm not, I promise. Well, maybe a little. If not being able to run is the worst thing I have to endure, then I've got no problems.

This weekend was Kansas City Marathon weekend. The races had more than 11,500 entrants, and I knew several people at work who were planning to run. They all wanted to know if I was running, too, and two or three of the novices even asked me for tactical advice. By the time the week came to an end, I'd really heard enough about a race that I wanted to be in, but couldn't.

Things only got worse on Saturday, though, because for the first time a local television station televised the first three hours of the race. I watched, of course, and my envy grew. We headed for a wedding at noon, and it wasn't long before I learned that the groom's sister had run her first marathon in the Twin Cities two weeks ago, finishing in under 4 hours, an incredible accomplishment. In the evening at the reception she was still all pumped up about it, and while I loved hearing about it, it gave me a strange feeling of being left out.

The whole marathon scene this past week really got me thinking, and I finally figured out a couple of things:

1 - I miss the races for sure. I miss all that enthusiasm, energy and excitement. I miss testing myself and being in the discussion with other runners.

2. Maybe more than anything I miss the enjoyment of rigorous exercise. I like what it does for me mentally as much as physically. It's this feeling of well-being, of satisfaction. I imagine my body and mind thanking me - giving me health points - for working out.

I know my injuries will heal and I'll run again, but I'm impatient. It's already been 5 months since I last ran. But I'm grateful I can still ride, and once a week I can ride pretty hard. That helps.

Until I can get back out there I wish all my running friends all the best. I still want to hear all your stories, and I plan to have a few of my own to tell in the not-too-distant future.

Oh, hey, I rode 34 miles Sunday, averaging 14.7 mph. Loved it. -- Rob

1 comment:

Ken said...

I share your pain of not participating. I tried not to watch the runners on Saturday. I am glad I stayed out of the heat.