Saturday, July 14, 2012

"Psycho Psummer" 10 Mile Trail Run

I completed another trail run.  It was at Wyandotte County Lake Park in Kansas City, Kansas.  This time 10.5 miles.  That is the trail all the way around the Lake.  It was part of the trail nerds series.  And there were three distances: 20 and 30 miles started at 8:00 am. And I with the 10 milers started at 9:00 am.  So it was already hot at the start.  But ... it was not so bad because it was mostly in the shade.


I had a fun relaxed run, with plenty of walks.  I decided to only look at my heart rate on my GPS, not pace or time or distance. I did check distance at the aid stations.  But I really didn't need it.  Basically, if it was a long or steep up hill, I walked. If it was in direct sunlight, I walked.  Walking became part of my routine. I even hoped for a hill sometimes, so I could slow down and walk.  So my overall pace of 16:21 seems slow, but I did do a lot of running.


The first 3 miles were a bit rough.  I was not acclimated to the heat and it was hilly.  Maybe because I was fresh, I ran some hills instead of walking.  My first break was about 10 minutes. I just relaxed, ate, drank and took a salt tablet. I was running  with my hydration pack full of ice water, but needed some electrolytes, too.


The next 5 miles were pretty good.  I ran slow and walked when I needed or wanted to.  The trail was moderately technical (i.e., rocks, etc.)  I also walked some rough areas.  And after 10 minutes, the field spread out so I mostly ran alone.  It was great to be out in nature.  And I think I reached a comfort level with the heat (when not in the sun).


I slowed a bit for the last 3.5 miles.  But I felt good and ran most of it.  Not too many aches, but some. I have a sore foot -- the ball of my right foot.  So that got some abuse. But my previous injury and my knee behaved.


It was a good day from me. I may do this same run in the winter.  The good part for me is if I can do 10 miles on a trail, I'm ready to run more than I've been.  (Of course biking is fun, too.)



http://connect.garmin.com/activity/199155855

No comments: