Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Sea legs hit the road

After a week off to take a cruise to Alaska, I was back on the road Monday and today.

Monday's run of 5.2 miles was done at an easy pace and was designed just to get loosened up and kind of get reacquainted with the road. During the cruise I never ran at all, because the plan was to use the time to rest, and because the notion of trying to get some mileage in on the treadmill with the ship rolling around seemed like an unnecessary risk. I spent all my time on the eliptical trainer (one day I spent 30 min. climbing the stairs up 10 decks three and a half times).

Sunset on the Pacific from our cruise ship.
It was warm Monday by the time I got out there, but I went pretty slowly and just avoided doing anything with the run but getting from point A to point B. I averaged 9:50 per mile.

This morning I caught up with the 20-mile long run that had been scheduled for Saturday. We were at sea Saturday on our way to Victoria, B.C.

Once again, all I wanted to do with this run was complete it. Speed was not a factor. The first two miles were just under 11 and the third was right at 10. Thirteen of the next 14 miles were under 10, and the last three miles averaged 11. I was pretty spent by the time I got to those last three miles. Overall, I averaged 10:04 per mile, which is quite acceptable for a long training run.

No comments: