Sunday, June 26, 2016

Making my comeback!

Well, as of my 8 miler yesterday, I've now either ran or biked every day, except Friday, for the last three weeks.  I've lost 8-10 pounds and the confidence is returning, big time!  Yesterday's run began with some humidity and the temp was right at 80 degrees.  Not a problem, I just decided to take it real easy.  However, at around 5 miles the sun was beating me down a little, but I continued on at a slow 12:00-13:00 mile pace.  Not concerned about the pace, just wanted to get the mileage in.  By mile 8 it got to me (heat & humidity)!  I was moving along at a 15:00 pace (uphill) and was only looking forward to my protein shake (chocolate, what else).  Finished the run and practically collapsed in my recliner while Chris made my shake.  Caught hell for getting the throw pillow wet with sweat, even though I covered the entire recliner with a huge beach towel.  I whimpered a bit and Chris got off my case.

I'm really looking forward to the half marathon in Fayetteville, NC where my grandson will be stationed (Ft. Bragg).  I challenged him to run with me, so we'll see how that goes.  BTW, the winning time in my age group (70+) last year was 3:19, a 15:00 mile pace.  Crap, if I can't beat that, I'll hang up my running shoes and grab a walker with tennis balls!  My realistic goal for that race is to run UNDER 2:30, which I think is reasonable.  BTW, the finish medals are in the shape of a parachute (Airborne school).  Cool, huh?  The shirts have parachutes on them as well.

Looking forward to running another day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post. You still know how to use humor.
But more important, great on the running and biking! You deserve a day off.