Sunday, April 10, 2011

Run strategy

We had house guests Saturday, and soccer games to attend in the morning, so I didn't get out for a run until 3:30 in the afternoon. It was 87 degrees by then, and I was still feeling the effects of a serious overdose of Oklahoma Joe's barbecue and fries. Still, I felt like I really needed to burn a few calories.

I carefully considered the weather conditions and my nutritional experience in formulating my training strategy for the day. I went out way too fast and was in oxygen debt by the end of the first mile, assuring that the rest of the run would painfully uncomfortable. Good thing I was planning on something short. Overall, I averaged 8:52 for 4.3 miles.

Today (Sunday) I wanted to get a long run in. It was over 80, and there was a strong wind out of the south, but I figured if I really did keep it slow, and stayed hydrated, I'd be OK.

I went to the levy trail, where going out I had to work against a cross wind. It was so strong at times that when I'd pick up my right foot the wind would blow it against my left leg. I kicked myself in this way several times. The trip back was brutal, with the wind mostly in my face. I decided to get off the trail and run the roads, since they were a little more protected. I just plodded along, not caring much about the pace.

The run ended up at 8.1 miles in 1:16:15, or a 9:25 pace.

Trolley Run on Sunday. -- Rob

1 comment:

The Men's Running Club of Kansas City said...

Rob,

Two fabulous runs -- well done! I don't envy that 80 degree run on Sunday. -Bill