Friday, November 9, 2012

A Scott Oakes Classic 7-Mie Run

I've been jumping in a Tuesday night short run (usually 3 miles) at Lifetime Fitness that Scott Oakes, a past runner from Runner's Edge, participates in.  Scott was historically a slower runner than me, but currently we're on an even level.  He invited me to join him on his favorite 7 mile hill run last night out of Shawnee Mission HS.  We had a ball in what I would describe as a "Scott Oakes Classic Run."  Specifically:  it took us about 90 minutes for our run due to (a) a stop I forced in at Walgreens to hit the restrooom, (b) a stop Scott threw in at a childhood friend's house to 'say hello and have a drink of water.'  ...it was actually a nice stop, and (c) multiple stops for short walks for no apparent reason throughout the run...which wasn't necessarily a bad thing.  We ran on very hilly side streets in Mission, KS on very narrow and irregular sidewalks that had me thinking about sudden falls, broken hips, and feeling very old already....But in the end, I was glad we did the run.  It reminded me that there is no such thing as a bad run when one runs with a friend! --Bill

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are 100% right about running with a friend. Heck I even like running with the MRC guys.