Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Ride with the Prairie Village Yacht Club

I found out about a ride on Thanksgiving with the PV Yacht club. It has nothing to do with yachts and is not even a club. It is a yahoo group.  Well today was the warmest day so that's the ride I chose.  We headed North through town to N. KC to the Dennys for breakfast.   It was a similar route Bill, Rob, Mike, and I did for Cranskgiving, same bridge.

These guys were serious. All the other bicycles were high end -- no name brands like Trek or Specialized, but custom or other small specialty bike makers.  Also check out my speed for the 1st 13 miles. I had breakfast and then we took off fast. No easy going for the 1st half hour. I struggled to keep up.  One of the riders, Doug, rode with me for a while. The group waited. But the second time they waited, I told them to point me to the start and I'll ride myself.  Right after we split, I found a wall and sat for 5 minutes to catch my breath. Also there was a northerly wind, so we were riding straight into it on the way back. I rode back on Paseo, the same way we came back on the Cranksgiving ride.

Overall average speed was 12.6 mph, But the 1st 13 ranged from 10.4 to 25.7 mph with most 1-mile splits above 15 mph.

Then I came home and helped with dinner.  We made 2 pies with a butter crust, the same recipe my son Nathan used.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/245864192

1 comment:

Bill said...

Mitchell,
What a fun and challenging workout. Great job! Happy Thanksgiving weekend!