Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Precarious, but I got it in!

I wanted to ride today, but wasn't sure about when it was going to start raining again.  Chris told me that the rain was predicted to return around 3:00 PM so I took off for the Interurban Road around 11:00 AM with a goal of getting in another 40 miler.

The first part of the ride was humid with a pretty good breeze in my face.  The clouds cover came and went along with the heat and humidity.  The ride from Ferrellview to Deerborn was rather pleasant watching the tall grass swaying in the wind and noticing the corn height was around a foot now.  It was also nice to see all the greening of the trees.

I rode through Deerborn to where the highway crosses over I-29 just north of town.  At that point I had a decision to make.  I was at 18 miles into my ride, but if I was going to get my forty in, I had to add on another 2 miles.  At this point, I was pretty concerned about the weather.  The wind had picked up considerably  and I was beginning to feel a drop of rain here and there.  Easy decision, I headed back to the car!

The ride back to the car was the roughest 18 miles I've ever rode.  The wind was as strong as I can ever remember on that route.  Believe it or not, at one point, I was actaully having to pedal DOWNHILL!  It was a long slight downhill, but the wind was so strong in my face that I had to keep cranking.  I didn't get to enjly very many downhill coasting opportunities!!!!

I ended up with a 36 miler averaging 12.9 mph with my top end at 24.8 mph.  I was kind of surprised at my 12.9 mph average.  I rode faster than that on the windy Smithville Trail!

Note:  I had already put my bike on the rack and was taking my helmet off when the rain hit!
            Could not have timed that any better if I planned on it!

1 comment:

Bill said...

Mike -- well done! Suggest you also track your weekly bike miles. I'm thinking you will set a MRC record this week at the rate you are going! --Bill