Monday, May 6, 2013

Why I Went to Graduate School

Occasionally, I am lucky enough to have a business trip that is so fabulous, I simply say myself "This is definitely WHY I went to graduate school!"  Last week was just such a case.  I flew out to Vancouver, BC to present our company's work to the annual conference for White Spot -- Canada's oldest restaurant chain.  They were celebrating their 85th birthday as a chain and our trip included performances at their conference dinner by the last three years' winners of Canada's equivalent American Idol show, plus a trip Friday night to the Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup playoff game in their corporate suite.  The trip hit three days of beautiful sunshine and warm, spring temps (this was during our May snow in KC...) and I got in three beautiful runs while there.  On Wed and Friday, I did a quick 3.5 mile loop in a very nice park 2 blocks from our hotel.  And on Saturday morning, I got in a 14-mile run on an urban trail that wound its way from our suburb right into downtown Vancouver.  It was a really fun week!  I'll close with 2 pictures -- one of Central Park, where I ran my 3.5 mile loops, and the other of what I only assume are distant relatives of Mike DeGhelder's at the Vancouver playoff game!  Would only every business trip be as nice as this one was!


Central Park running loop

Canadian Relatives of Mike DeGhelder.  (the skirt was a dead giveaway....)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I also love running on business trips. I was at a conference in Edmonton and crossed a bridge, found a park and a trail. It makes the trip memorable.

Bill said...

Mitchell -- the bike trail 14 mile run on Saturday was really fun. It wound in and out of parks and different neigborhoods, and gave me a real sense of the city. It does add a nice dimension to business trips.