Sunday, April 28, 2013

It Don't Get Any Better Than This, weather wise!

What a simply gorgeous day!  I had planned on riding 15-20 miles after the 1:00 Royals game, but since Chris had to work, we went to 8:00 AM Mass, which lead me to the decision to go ahead and ride before the game.

I wasn't sure where I was going to ride, but I was sure I didn't want to ride in the street.  While in church, it came to me to ride Cliff Drive, my old stomping grounds.  I wasn't sure how far it would be from end to end, but I decided I would repeat the distance for how ever many miles I wanted or to just ride for time.

I parked on a side street by the KC Museum and began my ride east on Gladstone Blvd. to Indian Mound.  I circled Indian Mound and headed back west on GB to the east entrance to Cliff Drive, now a scenic Missouri Byway.  About a mile into the Cliff Drive experience I came across a female runner around 30-35.  I slowed down and accompanied her for probably around two miles.  Even though Cliff Drive is closed off for the weekend for pedestrians and cyclists, I was still not real comfortable seeing a female running by herself in such a desolate area and I mentioned that to her.

Her name was Cheryl and she was grateful for the company, such as it was.  She informed me that she usually runs with her two dogs, but her ex-husband had the dogs since it was his weekend.  I don't know if that was a court order or custody battle, but  it made for some interesting conversation.

Sheryl turned off at the split that goes up to the KC Museum and we bid farewell.  Oh yeah, she wants to run her first half and full marathon, so I told her about RE.

Guys, it was just one of those days that was good to be either running, biking, or just walking.  I did both!  After my ride, and after the game (9-0 Royals), I took the dogs for a ncie walk.  BTW, I only rode for a little over 12 miles, but it was just a super nice ride.

My next ride will be Tuesday by myself, Thursday and Saturday with Rob.  Need to start building the mileage.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are building up mileage the right way. Slowly but persistently. You're a great role model. Keep posting.