Sunday, January 15, 2012

First run of the year. Hmmm

The temperature went over 60 today, and I just couldn't resist trying out my healed up achilles tendons. I hadn't run for four weeks, although I have been pretty consistent at the gym on the eliptical trainer.
I went down to English Landing so the surface would be soft and the terrain flat. I kept the pace slow.
Prior to this run, and for a full week, all of the pain in my achilles tendons had gone away, I could force a slight twinge in the right one going down the stairs, but at no other time could I feel anything out of the ordinary. It was going to be easy enough to avoid going down stairs on this run.

Everything went fine until about the two mile mark, and then I could feel that old pain coming back. I slowed my pace, and stopped once to stretch and another time to walk a short distance, but once I got to the four mile mark I knew I'd gone far enough. I was not interested in making things worse.

The good news is the left achilles does seem to be completely repaired. The right one still needs more time, though, so I won't run again for at least another week. - Rob

1 comment:

Bill said...

Good news on the left. Bummer on the right. And your injuries also seem to be recovering, albeit slowly! Well done on maintaining the elliptical!

Hang in there!

Bill