Sunday, July 28, 2013

A minor milestone

Very nice day today, so I went down to English Landing Park for what I thought might be 4, 5 or 6 miles. I'd run kind of hard on Friday, averaging under 9 for 6 miles, then rode 28 miles on Saturday, so all I wanted to do was a few easy miles along the river.

Even though it was only 73 degrees, the sun was high and bright and it seemed warmer than it was. I was content to run my early miles north of 10, and after a couple miles I was nice and loose and thinking I'd definitely go 6. The easy pace helped me adjust to the temperature and I was feeling good.

My pace naturally picked up as I worked through miles 3 and 4, and by the time I started on my fifth mile I was planning to do 7. Miles 5 and 6 were right at 9, and as I got to the turnaround that would give me 7 miles, I decided to go out a little farther and shoot for 8, which would be my longest run since last September. Miles 7 and 8 were in the middle 8's.

Once I finished I felt like I could have gone another mile or two, but I figured there was no point in pushing it. I'm not training for a race.

This makes for a nice start to the week, which will be short because we are traveling during the second half and I don't know when I'll be getting my workouts in from Thursday through Sunday.

No comments: