Monday, July 8, 2013

Back to work

It's back to the routine now that my little 10-day break from work is over. I didn't get as much riding in as I thought I would during the break, but did get out a couple of times, once for 41 miles.

The highlight of the period was a run along the Lake Superior waterfront in Grand Marais, Minn. on a cool Saturday morning. Beaches, lighthouses, sailboats, water. Not too hard to take.

I continue to run at a maintenance level - around 25 miles a week. In the last couple of weeks I've finally reached a level of conditioning that allows for much easier hill climbs. In the early weeks after resuming running, those relatively little hills were really tough. Just about the time I thought I was never going to turn that corner, it all improved. You just gotta hang in there, I guess. Still have no plans to run any races this year, at least not until after the Katy ride.

Got out for a 6-mile run early this morning. It was already 78 at 5:45 am, but the sun was behind the clouds and it didn't feel all that bad.

2 comments:

Mike DeGhelder said...

Rob,
If you left at 5:45, did you notice I was already gone?

Yep, it takes awhile to get back after a layoff due to illness or injury. However, sometimes it may surprise you how fast one can come back!

Bill said...

Rob,

Post some pictures from your vacation, big boy! Great job on getting any running in on vacation...I find the stress release of vacation negates any need to run. Translation: I rarely end up running very much on vacations. Great job bouncing back this morning! -- Bill