Sunday, July 21, 2013

Well, That's Just Great!

Just wonderful, two days of either unpreparedness or near disasters! 

After yesterday's fiasco with Rob and his flat tire with no tube, no air and forgetting to give me the keys to his truck which would have resulted in another 12 miles of riding back and forth.  Not to mention that Rob, who gave me a shot in the previous blog Re:  Giving me the driving directions 3 or 4 times when there was only two turns to remember, also forgot to mention that he told me to be sure and turn right on Main Street (in Grandview) which would take me right to the high school where we parked.  He did say that the street might be named Grandview Road and, since he lived in the area for years, he knew that was the directions to the high school.

BTW, if you are ever riding/driving south on Raytown Rd. and want to go to Grandview High School, turn right on HIGHGROVE RD. not Grandview Rd. or Main Street.  It's a good thing ONE of us remembered the truck keys and had enough common sense to realize Highgrove Rd. was the correct turn to get to the high school.

Okay, now that I've covered my ass with yesterday's fiasco, you would think today's ride with Sean Joyce would be uneventful.  Not so!  On the way to the Smithville Trails we heard a strange sound at the back of my car.  It sounded like my deck lid wasn't shut all the way and I may have hit a small bump and it bounced up and back down.  At least that's what it sounded like.  Not so!  When we arrived at the Anita Gorman Trail Head and got out of the car, Sean noticed that the left side main strap that hooked to the top on my trunk lid had broken loose and our bikes were tilted to the right side of my car.  Lucky for us, the rest of the bike rack held together long enough for us to make it to the trail head.  We immediately thought of Rob the Rescuer. 

We called Rob and informed him of our dilemma.  He told us to call him back when we were almost finished with our ride and he would meet us at the trail head and truck our bikes back home.  I thought about telling him to check the air in his tires before setting out, but we were in too much of a pickle to give him any stuff.

The ride itself was very interesting compared to past rides on the Smithville Trails.  We saw 17 Rabbits in the first 22 miles, a deer, a huge, and I mean HUGE, turkey with three little hens, and about 40-50 turkey vultures in a tree.  That scene was almost out of a Hitchcock movie!
We also saw a guy on a product called a fly board that was powered by a jet ski.  The propulsion from the jet ski shot him in the air about 10-15 feet where he either hovered or floated around in his choice of direction.  It was very cool to watch this.  I'll have Sean forward the pics he took.

Here's to better days on the roads and trails

No comments: