Monday, July 8, 2013

Longest Ride/All new territory!

Since I missed the last four days, due to soreness in my quads, I decided to make it up, big time!

I have logged two rides of 60+ miles, with the first one occurring two years ago on the Prairie Spirit Trail with Sean Joyce.  The second one was three weeks ago, again with Sean, but began the ride with Bill, Jerry and Rob who bagged it at 40 miles due to family obligations.

Okay, so I pretty much knew I could ride 60 miles or more, but how much more?  Last night I made up my mind to set a goal of riding 80 miles today.  Wasn't sure how it was going to go, but I packed five water bottles (two were in the freezer), three Cliff Bars, 25 glucose tablets, a quart of chocolate milk and a P B & J sandwich.  Okay, so I was prepared, now what?

I left the house at 5:37 and headed to the Smithville trail with a plan to ride the north trail twice and the south trail twice.  I parked at the Anita Gorman parking lot, unloaded my horse, packed my saddle bags and rifle (coyotes, you know), and headed across the bridge to the Bone Bender trail head.

The weather was cooperative with a slight breeze and temps in the 70s.  I rode past the right 90 degree turn that ends at the Smokin Davy Trail head and continued just another 2 tenths of a mile or so.  At that point I was at 11.20, I believe.  Turned around and headed back to Anita Gorman.  Was surprised that I didn't see any deer yet, but that was to come.  However, I did almost run over several damn squirrels.

Got back to the car with 22+ miles logged, refreshed my water bottle, ate a Cliff Bar, and headed out for the 18.4 round trip on the AG trail.  Weather still great with a little wind, but very nice!

Plan was working perfectly, as I logged my 40+ miles when I returned to the car.  Same routine as last paragraph with regards to refreshing myself.  Okay, big mental boost as I was half way to my goal!

Headed across the bridge again to log another 22+ miles.  Still no deer!  I was 4 hours and 2 minutes into my ride before I saw the first deer.  She came from my left and practically jumped over the trail in front of me at about 20 feet away. 

Made the same turn at the "T" and headed back to AG.  Second deer at 4 hours 38 minutes,
was  a complete surprise to both of us!  I came around a right hand turn and there she was
about ten feet away.  I startled her and she startled me!  She leaped into the forest and that was that!

Got back to the car and was mentally and physically relieved that the hard part was pretty much over.  WRONG!  See refreshment paragraphs.

Headed down the AG trail for one last out and back.  Was feeling pretty good at this point, but the sun was starting to pop through and the temp was rising fast.  I still had some cloud cover, here and there, and the shade helped as well. 

Was starting to tire around the 70 mile point, but was energized by the fact that it was my longest ride ever!  Mentally, this also kind of made up, to me anyway, for bailing out at 46 miles at the Rock Island Ramble.

Made the turn at the Cabin Fever trail head and headed back to the car.  At this point my water was not cool, but wasn't hot and I made up my mind that I would kill the bottle with five miles to go.  I figured I could make five miles out with a half bottle of water in me.

At five miles to go, it hit me, big time.  I was tired, hot and hungry!  Oh, I knew I was going to make it, I just wanted it to be over!  It was over soon enough and it felt like finishing my first marathon, well almost.

Totals:  6 hours, 36 minutes of ride time, 81.18 miles logged at 12.20 mph average with top end at 24.7.

1 comment:

Bill said...

A rock solid ride Mike! The sun and heat coming out at noon is a killer, but you were able to finish well! Great job!