Tuesday, February 22, 2011

How to end the day

I used to think it couldn't get any busier at work.
And then they downsized again.
And decided to have me manage a 6-month software upgrade.
And purchase and install new desktop equipment for everyone.
And bring several Web sites up.
Man, today was really busy. But I like it. The pace is fast and the day's go by in a flash. It's challenging and stimulating. Sometimes I can imagine I might even be needed at times (this thought goes away as soon as I reflect on all the good people we needed but who were let go anyway over the last couple years).
At the end of days like today I am frequently worn out. The antidote, as we all know by now, is a good run. Get home, get the gear on, and head out. It hardly takes a mile to start feeling the energy build again. By the time I'm done and showered I feel like I could immediately start the day all over again. What a great rush.
Today's run was a totally unremarkable and uninspired 5.67 mile treadmill workout. I averaged 9:43. It worked it's magic, though. An hour after finishing I'm fully recharged.
I look forward to doing it again tomorrow. -- Rob

4 comments:

Mike said...

You ran on a treadmill, a treadmill? Jeez, this younger generation is sooo wimpy! Even I ran outside. However, I realize that I got to run in the daytime and you weren't able to take advantage of that and elected not to take a chance on running into the boogie man. He comes out at night you know. Jeea, what a wimp!

The Men's Running Club of Kansas City said...

Treadmill, ellipicals, inter-urban bike trails.....I say do what it takes to get in the workout! Well done on a great weekday workout and don't take any shit for that ponytail of yours! -- Bill

Rob said...

The boogie man lurks in camouflaged winter potholes. A "dreadmill" run is still a run, Mr. I-ran-the-last-half-mile-pretty-fast-in-the-daylight.

Ponytail? If we all grew one, and had a cool MRC t-shirt, we'd be something, wouldn't we? Maybe Mike would try it out first ... hey Mikey!

Mike said...

OMG, this blog is going to blow any minute now! Toooo overloaded with blogs and comments! My monitor is smokin!