Sunday, June 17, 2012

Bike Fit at Bike Source

I treated my self to a professional bike fitting at the 135th St store of Bike Source.  This was on Thur. 6/14. It was recommended by my chiropractor for comfort and to avoid injury (e.g., numb right hand).  J.P. Shores was the technician that did it.

It was pretty comprehensive. It took over 2 hours.  First there was an interview of the type of biking I do, past injuries, etc.  Then JP took a bunch of measurements and evaluations, such as range of motion, flexibility, leg length, hip rotation.

Then I got on the bike and he did a few adjustments based on the measurements and just good form:

  1. adjust cleat position
  2. raise saddle height
  3. move saddle back on its tracks
  4. change reach.  This needed a $60 new stem.
It cost $175 plus the new stem.  The stem was discounted. I also bought new shorts, also discounted because I bought them as part of the fitting.  

I rode 46 miles today at the City of Fountains tour.  I can't say it was a dramatic difference, but it did feel better.  I think it was worth it. After a few weeks, I can go back for some minor adjustments at no charge.

Here's some data from the fitting.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7kvegllat151rn/Bike%20fit01.pdf


No comments: