Thursday, June 28, 2012

Idiot drivers

With the temperature slated to top out at 107 later today, I got out early. It was 80 when I left the house about 5:15 a.m., but there was a little breeze and at that hour no direct sunlight. For a change I took along some water, even though I was planning on running just an easy 4 miles.
Once I got going I was surprised how good I felt despite the temperature - probably due to the slow pace. I decided right away to run at least 5 miles.
This morning featured another brain-dead driver who was driving east on the road as I was running west on the trail. He slowed down and then stopped as we passed each other, leaned across his passenger and flipped me off, then put his car in reverse and shadowed me as I ran on.
Eventually, he turned around and drove ahead of me a couple blocks, then came back toward me shrieking from behind the wheel and honking his horn.
And to think this bit of drama will be the highlight of his day. Pathetic.
Generally, I "do not engage" in these cases, and I didn't today, but I refuse to be intimidated. They all seem to be very brave when they are in their cars, with a buddy, and can drive away quickly, but they are just cowardly idiots.
Back to the run, I eventually did 6.2 miles averaging 9:27 per mile. The thermometer read 77.5 when I got home, so it actually got cooler between 5 and 6:30. -- Rob

3 comments:

Bill said...

Rob -- great run, and what is your problem with the driver, anyway? Next time, invite him to get out of his car and join you in hunting down those idiot morning joggers getting in the way of important vehicular traffic!

Also -- well done on Hospital Hill. You are the only guy I know who consistently picks the hardest races around to log PR's! I'm in the camp of not loving the race, which is clearly intellectually dishonest. What I truly don't love is running HH without a proper mileage and hills base....which I choose to blame on the race organizers!

--Bill

Mike said...

If you really want to stop the harrassment, Rob, you would purchase a Cracker Jack sheriffs badge and a 9mm looking water pistol and carry it on your hip. I promise they won't bother you again.

If they do, pull out your pistol and shoot them between the eyes with the pepper spray you loaded it with. After all, you're standing your ground!

Rob said...

I thought about the badge idea, and I might do that. Also, this happened across the street from the fire station, and I realized afterward I should have just said something like "Come on, get out. Let's see how the rest of the crew over there in the station feels about your harassment." I wouldn't be claiming to be a firefighter, but he might have thought I was.