Sunday, February 12, 2012

OK Running Outside is Really My Only Viable Strategy

Over the last 2 weeks, I've logged a total of 9 workouts during what was designated as my "easy workouts" post surgery recovery period.  Tomorrow, for the record, I reach the full green light to exercise at whatever level I desire.  The official end to all hernia related excuses if you will.  During my 12 week hiatus for hernia #2, I gained back 12 pounds and so most of my last 2 week runs have been pathetic attempts at indoor treadmill workouts which pretty much featured 1- 2.5 miles at 10:31 miles, usually with 2-3 walk breaks, then a quick retreat to the elliptical machine for 20 minutes or so.  Today, I finally got outside in the sunshine for a favorite 3.4 mile loop near where I work.  I was slow at 12:10's but at least I actually ran the entire distance, and I sped up at the end.  Clearly, running outside is better for me!  So today, I washed and loaded up all my cold weather gear and made plans for a 5-run week next week.  Wish me luck! -- Bill

1 comment:

Mike said...

Bill,

Your five run plan for next week sounds doable, but I wouldn't make my long run over five miles at this point.