Monday, August 12, 2013

A race, sort of

The Star was a sponsor for Sunday's Komen run, and as such had several comps to hand out. I know I said I wasn't going to race anything this year, but I like the idea of this event, and it was free to me, so I signed up for the non-competitive 5k. That meant I didn't get a chip and wouldn't figure in the official results.

I got downtown early and went for an easy 4 mile run to loosen up prior to the race, and to get in the mileage I wanted to start the week with. Those miles were done at a 10:32 pace.

Untimed and timed runners were allowed to start together, so I lined up in the 9-minute pace group with "real" runners all around me. I thought if I could come in at 27 min. it would be just fine with me. I like the idea that I wasn't being timed and was under no pressure to truly race.

If you've ever run the Komen race you know it's always crowded at the start. If you're serious about time, you have to start at the front. Otherwise, you'll be trapped in the middle of the herd for a good half mile. That's where I was, and actually it allowed me to ease into the race and gradually build my speed.

The first mile is mostly downhill, and I did it in 8:45. The next mile is all up hill, and it's kind of a grind, but I was able to do it in 8:10. The last mile is about 50-50 up and down hill, but none of it steep, and I finished with a 7:42 mile. My self-computed time was 25:33, for an 8:10 pace.

The results for this year's race aren't posted yet, but I would have placed 4th in the same age group a couple of years ago with 25:33.

Racing again was kind of fun, but I still have no plans to do it again this year. Maybe I'll throw in a nearby turkey trot later in the year.

1 comment:

The Men's Running Club of Kansas City said...

Wow, Rob! That was a super good time for no more running you have been doing. Really impressed with the splits! Way to go!