Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Moving up in the age group

I needed some way to mark my 63rd birthday, which is today.

People who golf want to shoot their age, but 63 would only get me two-thirds of the way around the course.
I could spend $63, but where's the challenge in that?
I considered running 63 miles, but thought I might not make it to work on time (next week).

So, I ran 6.3 miles. That was easy enough to do, but it got me to thinking that if I'm still running when I'm 90, that 9.0-mile run might be a little tough.I'll probably be retired by then, so at least I'll have all day to do it.

I'll have to check this out, but I think I burned a few extra calories today just because my Garmin watch knew I'd gone from 62 to 63 years old.
---------------------------------------------------------
Last week, almost by accident, I recorded my highest weekly mileage of the year: 34 miles. It happened because I ran 8 miles on Sunday instead of my usual 4-6, then ran every day but one because I was unable to throw in more than one day of riding.

I haven't run any distance real fast yet, but I have had a couple outings averaging under 9 min. per mile. My rehab'ed foot sometimes gets a little puffy after longer or faster runs, but it's nothing that a little ice can't handle.

2 comments:

The Men's Running Club of Kansas City said...

Way to go, Rob, celebrating your birthday in a significant fashion. Good thing you didn't run the 63 miles. A number of years ago I had a running friend who ran 60 miles on his 60th birthday and died of a heart attack. Well, actually he had the heart attack two years later, but still!

Bill said...

Rob, you big pussy! Next year, we expect you to run the full 64 miles!