Saturday, August 24, 2013

Sidewalks for dogs, streets for runners

You want to know why runners don't like to run on the sidewalk, why the street is normally the better choice despite the many ignorant drivers out there? Uneven surfaces, cars blocking the way, low-hanging trees, hoses, people backing out, children playing.

And then this morning ...

This isn't the real woman
and dog, but it's close.
Narrow sidewalk. Just a connector from one trail to another for a couple of minutes. I'm approaching a young woman on a walk with her dog. A pit bull. On a leash connected to a sturdy full-body collar. The animal is young, good looking and muscular. It doesn't look mean, but is obviously interested, maybe concerned, about me.

I'm on alert. Woman and dog stop and move to one side so I can pass. And that's my plan: stay on the sidewalk and pass on the right. Isn't the sidewalk primarily for humans? Animals can give way. Owners should see that their animals give way. Some do, and some don't, but she did., and I was going to take my piece of the sidewalk.

As I came within speaking range, the woman spoke. She was pleasant, but firm.

"He does not want to play."

Oh, I said.

OH! I thought as I realized what she was saying. Come too close and risk losing a leg. I get it.

Deftly and in stride I veered onto the grass and donated the whole sidewalk to the animal.

I should have been in the street anyway.

-----

For the week I had 34.1 miles

No comments: