Monday, April 2, 2012

Breaking Out!

Today I broke out of the funk I've been in for the last three months! Since I felt so good after my ride with Rob yesterday, I decided to take a long walk. No J-wording or even a fast walk!

So, with music in my ears and the sun on my shoulders, I enjoyed a nice long five mile walk at the kind of pace you would walk your dog, a small dog at that.

What was interesting was I couldn't decide which direction I wanted to walk and really wasn't sure how far I would be able to walk. I just figured as long as I kept my feet in a straight line and stayed on flat surface I'd be okay. (If I get my left leg turned, even slightly, the pain hits)

As I entered a trail (wide concrete) about a mile and a half from the house, I noticed a lady walking toward me. As she came closer she began a slow jog. She passed by me and didn't look up as I nodded my head and tipped my hat. I walked another quarter mile and she came up from behind me in that same slow jog. She didn't say anything this time either.

As I proceeded with my walk, it wasn't too long before I looked up and here she came again towards me. Now the trail I was on is only a mile long and from the looks of the situation it became apparent that she was walk/running at least four miles.

This time I couldn't help myself (yeah, you know me). I asked her if she was training for something. She said she was training for her first 5K. I asked here which one and she said she didn't know because she hadn't decided when she would be ready.

Okay, now I've gone into running instructor Mikie mode! I suggested the Brookside 5k run on May 12 since that would give her plenty of time and since she was already run/walking four miles she would have no trouble with the 5K. I warned her about what will happen when she crosses the finish line for the first time. Her life will change!

When we parted, she was really pumped about the race. I even gave her my email address and told her I wanted to watch her progress. I also told her that I was a volunteer for that event and I'd be watch for her to cheer her on.

Today was just a great day! I got two days of exercise in and motivated a brand new runner. Life can be really great at times! Can't tell you how motivated Mary Russell made me as well.

Now I'm really looking forward to my rehab period!!!!!

Mike

No comments: