Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Wrapping it up

I didn't get a chance to do a long run on Saturday, due to a fairly violent visit to the dentist on Thursday during which I lost a tooth. He told me not to run for 3 or 4 days. So, naturally, I laid off for a full day. I didn't do my planned 10, but I did go 4.5, and it was slow. I felt sluggish, which I attributed to my body being somewhat busy repairing the dentist's damage. Fortunately, my face did not explode, as the dentist inferred it might.

I found this interesting article which explains why EVERYONE should lift weights. I've heard most of this before, but the article puts it all in one place. I lift twice a week - exerting what I would call minimal effort - and agree with everything this author has to say.

I went out for a run again on Sunday, and felt much better than Saturday. This time I want 5.2 miles and did it fast enough to call it a tempo run.

Monday it was nice and cool after work - perfect weather for a run - but when I got home I really didn't feel much like going out. My main problem was that I didn't want to use any of my usual routes and I couldn't think of an interesting new one. As I headed out the door, though, a new route came into my mind. This one was made possible by the recent extension of 72nd St. from Overland Dr. to Green Hills Rd. I covered a mile in the neighborhood, then went east on the Gower trail and north on Green Hills to 72nd St., then west to Overland. I added little spurs here and there and wound up with exactly 9 miles, which after the hilly initial 3 miles seemed easy. I averaged 9:14 for the run. -- Rob

No comments: