Thursday, December 1, 2011

I Can't Wait For Dallas! (But I do have to wait for my next marathon)

Gang -- the point has always been for me to use the big events as a goal to organize and guide my daily workouts.  This year -- despite our injuries -- has been truly remarkable!  We've enjoyed hospital visits to our friends  (Ken at the medical tent 2010; Rob at St. Lukes' 2011...), multiple half marathons, Summer Breeze bike ride en route to the Hilly Hundred, fabulous MRC runs and dinners with our expanded group, celebrations together of life's comings and goings, celebrating Dan Gabbert's 1st ever marathon, aAmy Lara's on-her-husband-Dan's-butt-personal-best-marathon, and despite being knocked out mid-November, I'm finishing 2011 as my 4th highest mileage year of my life and was on track to just edge it into 2nd highest!  My monthly totals tell the tale of a successful return -- with a lot of help from my friends -- to running:
  • Feb:   56.4 miles
  • Mar:   81.6 miles
  • Apr:   84.9 miles
  • May:  71.8 miles
  • June   40.5 miles (2 week Europe trip)
  • July    100.9 miles
  • Aug    97.3 miles
  • Sept   123.2 miles
  • Oct:   159.5 miles
  • Nov:    69.3 miles (half month)
Looking ahead, with my surgery set for 1/5/2012, I should be back running full time by 3/1/2012 at which point I want to ramp back up to the 30 miles per week level as quickly as possible.  I'm truly looking forwart to 2012 running!

For now, I can't wait to meet up with everyone Sat. afternoon in Dallas, eating the Pasta dinner with my business partner Lissy Bethmann and our manager Laura Simms (you will enjoy meeting them), cheering you on from the sidelines, holding someone else's noodle for a change, enjoying the whole marathon spectical, and 7-8 hours of cheap shotting also known as our drive back home.

Life is for living.  This weekend we celebrate life in whatever capacity we have on Sunday morning!

Bill

2 comments:

Bill said...

I just realized that I should have added to my list of 2012 highlights Tandy Gabbert's 1st ever half marathon, Carl and Mike's recoveries from multiple injuries, Mitchell's expanding list of local bike rides, Rob's ramp to very strong pace workouts as well as his 5K races with grandkids, and Brandon's Eagle Scout. A very good year! --Bill

Mike said...

Bill,

You were averaging 40 mile a week in Oct. Way to go! You were on your way to another great month in November when the hernia presented itself.

Stuff just happens, Bill, but your super attitude, and a few brews, will always get you through any negative event.

BTW, the downside of comming home Sunday night kind of knocks out the beer celebration afterwards!