Saturday, December 24, 2011

Really Did it This Time!

My plan was to run with the Cycle City running group this morning for their Christmas Eve run of 5 miles. We met at the nature sanctuary in Parkville by the Park University track.

There were about 20 runners that showed up for the run and I think the oldest runner, besides me, was no more that 30, with three of them having completed the Ironman in Hawaii more than once. Okay, get the picture?

Their plan was to run about an eighth of a mile on the trail and then come out on the street and head down to English Landing and do a loop or two. After the run, we were to meet at the coffee shop in Parkville for conversation and companionship. I was really looking forward to the coffee shop gathering since it reminded me of when the Runner's Edge was in it's small beginnings when we met at Einstein Bros for bagels and coffee.

We started out running the nature trail and it was up hills, crossing foot bridges, across timbers, uphill on railroad ties, more bridges. downhill twisted trails, etc. I was running about midpack at a sub 9:00 minute pace. Way too fast for Mikie in the first mile, but I was hangin!

Then, as we made a sharp left turn around a tree, to run down a hill, I stepped in a slight depression and severly twisted my left knee. Yep, it just had to be my left knee, the one that flared up on me last Monday. I came to an immediate stop and cursed at myself for not just running with a fast crowd, but to run a damn trail to begin with, knowing that the surface would be uneven.

I was just looking forward to getting to know some new people and joining a group of runners and bikers closer to home.

Don't know how far I've been set back, but it's not like I haven't been there before!..........Mike

1 comment:

Bill said...

Mike,

I hear you...but up to the turn, it sounds like you were having a ball!

Enjoy some rest, some aspirin, and some medicenal beers!!!

Bill