Thursday, December 1, 2011

Last Miles #2

Like Rob, I too was hampered and set back (two months for me) after the knee surgery. What began early in the year as a goal of running under four hours has now become a survival event for me.

Oh, I'm pretty sure I'll finish, but it will be at least a minute per mile slower than my earlier goal. Yeah, we've been kicked in the teeth a couple of times this year, with Rob's crash into the dog resulting in fractured ribs, separated collar bone, bruises, and possible head trauma. Now, three weeks from race day, he comes up with this foot problem. Bill, having a hernia expose itself about the same time as Rob's foot problem, has knocked him out of the event entirely! Me, well, the upside is the knee problem came at a time when, at least, there were enough days, after healing, to make up for some of the lost training time and give me just enough long run mileage to make it to the finish line.

Monday I ran a slow four miler, skipped Tuesday due to my right knee giving me some pain. Ran a slow three miler yesteday with the knee, again, giving me some concern. In about 30 minutes, I'll run my last three miles before the event on Sunday.

Truthfully, I'm was really excited about this trip, but, Bill being knocked out and sidelined only to be a spectator and cheerleader, Rob worried about his foot, and me still unsure how this is all going to unfold Sunday, has me a little anxious and not in a good way. I'm actually a little nervous, but here's the upside. WE ARE STILL IN IT!!

We will finish, even if it's in pain! Well, more pain than usual after a marathon, and at our age we have to be happy that we can participate in events such as the Hilly Hundred and another marathon!.........Mike

No comments: