Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Birthday Run and Heel Injuries

Celebrated my 54th birthday which is today (I've finally caught up with my official Blog Bio) with my first 6 mile run yesterday. Steady 10:47's for 1st half and 10:41's for second half on dead flat, dead easy indoor track and treadmill -- I mixed it up to keep it interesting. I can see the basis here for longer runs and slowly improving times, although my breathing hard threshhold is still just 10:00's miles. When I got home, however, my right heel out of nowhere started hurting! I could barely walk --either barefoot or in my loafers. This is not a good sign, but I did notice that when I put on my hiking boots to do our barn chores that my heel immediately felt better. So I'm wearing my hiking shoes today and tomorrow to see if my heel can recover. Off today as I'm flying to San Antonio this evening to help drive Jamie back from college tomorrow. Hope the heel thing is temporary! -- Bill

3 comments:

mike said...

Bill,

That heel pain you're experiencing sound way too familiar! I'm sure you iced it, elevated it, and took some Ibuprofen. That works well if it's just a temporary thing. However,if it continues I would highly suggest you see a podiatrist. You may have a little plantars faciatis (sp) going on there. I too, hope it's just a temporary problem.

Ken said...

Bill,

Happy Birthday! You don't look a day over 53. Need some celebration candles?

Ken

Rob said...

Bill,
Happy Birthday!

As for your heel pain, I've been there frequently, but after I started using these: http://www.heel-that-pain.com/heel_seats.php, the pain went away and stayed away. I don't wear them when I run, but I do at all other times.

Rob