Saturday, May 22, 2010

Running program on hold

I continue to struggle with this bizarre back injury. To maintain some fitness, I've been biking, and have done about 35 miles in the past few days. The first two rides did not stress my back at all and were actually restful, but today's 13.5 mile ride left me kind of sore, so I don't know how far I can go with the bicycle.

I cannot explain this back injury. It occurred while I was on a treadmill doing 10 min. miles, which is an easy pace. Sometime toward the end of the 2nd mile, I began to feel a bit of a twinge, but it wasn't acute. I kept going until I was done with 3 miles, and then quit, thinking I didn't want to push through even a minor discomfort. Five minutes later I was in quite a bit of pain.

The pain is in the lower back, the epicenter seemingly just to the left of my tail bone, and behind bone. I've been seeing a chiropractor who specializes in sports physical therapy. His practice is primarily as physical therapist for the Kansas University sports programs: football, track, etc. I'm not a fan of chiropractic, but he's not really using it on me. It's all PT, and he's given me specific stretches to do at home. They work, at least to a point. Eventually, I tighten up and get sore again.

The pain is such that I definitely can't run. Walking starts out OK, but as the distance grows, the pain increases. And that's good, or at least better, than it was a week ago. Improvement is coming, but it's a slow process. The Hospital Hill half marathon, which I had planned to run on June 5, is out. Probably the best I can hope for by then is the ability to do an easy 5k.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to bike, stretch and rest. -- Rob

No comments: