Saturday, August 28, 2010

Bringing up the rear

Rode this 38-miler with Nathan (my niece's husband), Sean (colleague from church) and, part way, Mike. We were riding in the shade with the temperature about 65, so it was downright cold for the first 15 miles. After Mike turned back at mile 12, it was me on a hybrid, and the two young guys on road bikes for the next 26 miles. If it had been a race, I would have finished a distant third (though they were still within eyesight). We all worked real hard on this ride, and our average doesn't reflect the true speed. 7 of the miles were over 17 mph, and 17 were over 15. We had a few miles under the teens because of traffic, and that pulled the average down.

By the time we were done, my quads were shot from trying to keep up with the fast guys. They waited on me quite a bit, but admitted they were hurting, too, at the end.

The GPS reported I burned 1,980 calories, and I think it was every bit of that. Great workout and fun ride.

38.4 miles in 2:33:21 for an average of 15.02 mph -- Rob


No comments: