Saturday, August 14, 2010

Nice 5k Surprise!

Wow, what a nice surprise! I entered Deanna Rose Farmland Stampede 5k, at my daughter's request, to run with my grandson Brandon. Brandon is a freshman on the Liberty High School cross country team and was just supposed to get an idea of how far a 5k is. I guess he was supposed to figure out a pace that he could maintain for the 3.1 miles. Brandon told me he didn't want to race but would rather stay with me and run together. I told him that would be great, but if I was having trouble, he was to go on ahead. Somewhere around the 3/4 mile mark, Brandon told me his knees were hurting real bad. I told him that if he felt he needed to walk then it would be best that he walked. I asked him if he needed me to stay with him and he told me to go ahead and he would try to catch up after walking a little.

I tried to select a finish time that I thought I could achieve, since I haven't been doing much running, and figured that I could probably hold on to a pace around 9:30. I hit the first mile in 9:00 flat, mile two was an 8:48, mile three was 8:06 and the last tenth was 50:65 seconds which would have been a 7:54 pace. Finish chip time was 26:46 and I took third in my age group. Got a nice medal and some sun sleeves, whatever they are. Felt a little guilty for leaving Brandon but I couldn't see paying $25.00 to walk a 5k!!! He finished about 4 minutes behind me and was okay.....Mike

2 comments:

Rob said...

Great job, Mike. I can't wait until I can get out there, too.

ken said...

Hey Grandpa - congratulations. I hope you feel okay after that accomplishment. Ken