Sunday, June 23, 2013

I'm Just Glad I Didn't Sign up for the 2-Day Ride!!!

I would echo Mike's comments on the Rock Island Ramble yesterday with regard to the temps, the humidity, and the wind.  It combined to make a very difficult day!  I felt bad that the three of us -- Mike, Mitchell, and me -- ended up riding apart but in those conditions, we each had to ride at our individual comfort pace.  I told Mitchell that in those hills, I would have had trouble going (a) slower, or (b) faster than my comfort pace.  Yesterday was a day to find one's sustainable pace and stick with it.

That said, I have great memories of the ride.  We passed through three beautiful stops -- Civil War sites in both Pleasant Hill and Lone Jack, and a surprisingly beautiful downtown Lee's Summit.  I had a funny moment when I was congratulating myself on having completed 46 miles at stop #4, when I realized that the other riders coming in were all century riders with 76 miles under their belts!  Life is definitely a humbling process.

I spent the rest of my day when I got home recovering -- a hot shower, a 90-minute nap, dinner and a home video in the air conditioning.  It took the entire evening for me to get back to normal.

The Three Meals --  Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner -- showing off their true colors!!!
I'll close with 3 shots from yesterday -- our group and the Aide/Mary duo that missed their turn for the 46 mile loop and ended up riding 70 miles!
Aide and Mary

 


Mike, Bill, and Mitchell in our formal poise

 

1 comment:

Mike DeGhelder said...

The first picture shows me sucking wind, which I did most of the ride!