Sunday, June 16, 2013

Rough Trail Ride

Sean, Rob and I ventured out to the Little Blue Trace to get in a, what was to be, a 22 miler.  Forgetting how long the additional trail on the south end was, we decided to go ahead and ride the entire trail, north and south.  Ordinarily, this wouldn't even be an issue, but Rob and Sean were under some time restraints.  BTW, Sean hadn't been to the Little Blue Trace trail, so Rob and I wanted to show him another riding option.

We headed south on the new part first which, by the time we returned to the parking lot, ended up being right at 8 miles.  Ride was fairly uneventful until, on the return ride, I rode into a bunch of sand that was put on the trail route, probably to fill in low spots or small ponds.  I came to the proverbial  screeching halt and had to walk my bike out of the quicksand.

We continued on to the north part and Sean decided we had enough time to ride the entire trail.  The north end of the trail was fairly rough due to cyclists riding the trail when it was too soft from previous rains.  I can remember running this trail several times during marathon training and was never comfortable running through those bike ruts!

All in all it was a nice ride and the weather, other than being just a little windy here and there, was pretty favorable.   Got in a 30 miler, but my pace averaged only 11.9 mph.

Note:  Riding crushed limestone trails is much tougher than any place else I've ridden.  However, the Katy should be better maintained and shouldn't be as rutted up!

No comments: