Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Our first few days in Paris

We arrived Sunday 2 June (2/6/13 in Europe).  As expected we were pretty tired, but did walk around a little and found (Elliot got a recommendation from someone on the plane) a great restaurant that we could walk to for our apartment in the Montmartre neighborhood of Paris.  

On Monday, we took a 11 - 12 km bike ride / tour of the landmarks.  The touring companynis Blie Bike Tours.  It was a great introduction and we didn't have sore feet from walking.  Some photos while we were stopped and while riding...

I took the next two while riding.


And of course, I enjoyed a crepe during the break.

This morning  I ran through Montmartre, very hilly, but fun.  I tried to follow a mapmyrun route, but quickly got lost.  I knew sort of a loop and ended up in a business area.  I stopped for two sights, 54 Rue Lepic, the apartment of Vincent Van Gogh in 1886-1888, and the Moulin Rouge.  I had read that van Gogh lived near me and did remember the address.  So when I went from the 20s and then noticed 60, I walked back and found the small plaque on a very ordinary apartment building.  I also walked up the stairs along the funiculaire.  Montmartre is the tallest hill in Paris.  It is residential with lots of families, so it's nice to come back to after being a tourist.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Mitchell -- great update and photos! This is fun to read along with you on your trip. You're missing daily rain here. Inbetween the showers, I've been non-stop mowing. Keep the posts and photos coming -- very interesting!

Mike DeGhelder said...

Really enjoyed the pics, Mitchell! Keep them coming! We look forward to your return and our ride on the 22nd.

Stay safe!