Sunday, June 23, 2013

MAJOR BEAT DOWN!

I was so looking foreword to our 70 mile ride yesterday, but just like a marathon, things can be unpredictable right up the the last minute.  One can be prepared and ready, but sometimes circumstances, which in this case turned out to be the weather, can throw a major curve in your plans and preparation.

I knew it was going to be hot, but when you combine that element with humidity, wind and major long hills, it was just too much for me.  A younger Mike DeGhelder, say around 60, would have fought through it, but at 70+, it was time for some discretion. 

The ride began easy enough as it was only in the 80s, but trying to keep up with my younger counterparts on their nice road bikes, was just a challenge I shouldn't have taken.  Just like in a marathon, you'll pay for going out too fast.  I started feeling the effects shortly after the first sag stop at around mile 12.5.  From then on I was just trying to survive.

I made it to the 46 mile sag stop in Lone Jack where Bill and Mitchell were waiting for me.  This was actually the pattern for the day, ride ahead then wait for Mike, ride ahead and wait for Mike.  It got to where the highlight of the day was seeing Mitchell and Bill at the sag stops. 

As I sat there in the heat hydrating, Bill asked me if I was okay.  I told him I had felt better, then he asked me if I was going to continue.  With only 24 miles left to go, I told him I had to finish this.  However, the longer I rested the worse I felt.  I came to the wise conclusion that I could not finish this ride. 

I was calling the phone number for one of the roving sag vehicles when one pulled right into the sag stop in a pick up.  This was fortunate as most of the time you might have to wait a half hour or more for someone to come and get you.  I loaded my bike along with another rider who was 15 years younger than I who also couldn't make the 70 miles and he had a ROAD BIKE! 

I was feeling kind of guilty for bailing out of my committed 70 miler.  It's just not my nature to quit something like that.  I have never quit a marathon, even though I was cramping or bonked!

I changed my clothes and retrieved my pre-paid lunch of a pulled pork BBQ sandwich, pasta salad, cookie and a cold soft drink and sat down in the air conditioning of J. Bean's restaurant and waited for guys.  Eventually they all made it, but the effects of the day were evident.


2 comments:

Rob said...

Wondered how it went. You did the right thing, and I probably would have had to do the same. As it was you got in 46. More miles than I did on Saturday, so congrats.

Bill said...

Mike,

Don't underestimate the impact of the heat, the wind, and the humidity yesterday. That was a very tough day and I wish I had only signed up for the 46 mile loop in the end!

I will probably pay more attention to the forecast in the future. That was a great 70-mile course, but with the forecast we had, it would have been a good day to drop back a notch!