Saturday, May 14, 2011

Couldn't Wait to Post This One!

After slogging out 11:00 training runs with an occasional 8:40 to 8:50 thrown in for one of the miles, I approached the "Running With the Cows" 5k with a reasonable goal of running under 30:00. Then, after a fairly decent two weeks of training, I thought I might be able to run under 28:00, but wasn't all that certain since I hadn't done any speed work, goal pace miles, etc. Well, I can state that I surprised myself with a 26:30! That was my own Garmin time, but they had me crossing the pad with a chip time of 26:24. Don't know how the six second difference came to be, but it just doesn't matter! Splits as follows: 8:50, 8:29, 8:07, plus 63 seconds for the last tenth of a mile to make up the 3.1. Averaged 8:28 with a max speed of 7:09 at some point during the race, no doubt downhill.

Note: This is a race that should be on our calendar each year! These folks put on a heck of a race. The course is super with gently rolling hills and the feed bag is unsurpassed! I've never seen so much food and different kinds of food after a race. It was more like a large family picnic!
Now I'm so charged up (after a two hour nap), that I can't wait to start building the mileage. Don't know which races I'll enter between now and Dallas, but I'm going to enter the Kansas City Half Marathon in Oct. to use as a barometer to see where I'm at. I also have to start building my biking mileage to get ready for the Hilly Hundred!.................Mike

No comments: