Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Dodging the storms


It rained like crazy about 1 this afternoon. I happened to be returning from lunch when the storm clouds rolled in over downtown Kansas City. Everyone's got a heightened sense of storm awareness, what with the shredding of Joplin, Mo., and little Reading, Ks., so that probably explains why people were standing out in the middle of busy Grand Blvd. taking pictures of the ominous clouds.

Having recently experienced the discomfort of street hospitality, I took my pictures from the sidewalk, then sent them to the editors of our website, who published one of them with a weather story by one of our reporters. They even gave me a credit, which now counts as my once-a-year byline.

None of which has anything to do with my run today, except that the storm had blown over and a new one was on the way by the time I was able to take to the streets. I still got 4.65 miles in, averaging 9:32 per mile. My shoulder and ribs felt measurably better than they did Sunday, so the healing process continues at a steady pace. -- Rob

No comments: