Saturday, March 19, 2011

Pushed by the rain

I didn't get started until 11:30 today, and it looked like it could rain anytime, so what was designed to be a long, slow run of 10 miles turned into a near race-pace workout.

I was around 9:30 for the first three or four miles, but at mile 5, with the rain looking very close, I picked it up a little. As I hit mile 7, a light rain began. I wasn't far enough out yet, but turned around and headed back anyway so I'd be closer to the truck if I got caught in a downpour. By the time I got back to the truck I still had 1.2 miles to go, and it wasn't raining very hard, so I decided to do a final .6 out and back. Just as I finished, the rain picked up, and I wasn't a quarter mile away on my way home when the thunder and lightning came and the sky opened up. It was a perfectly-timed finish.

I ended up with 10.10 miles in 1:32:13 for a 9:08 average. My pace for the last 4.25 miles was about 8:35. For the week I had 26 miles. -- Rob

2 comments:

The Men's Running Club of Kansas City said...

Rob,

You're on fire! Great run you posted today. You're in great shape going into Rock the Parkway!

Well done.

Bill

Mike said...

I'll never catch you now, so I won't even try! Right now I'm the slowest runner, if I can take the liberty of calling myself a runner.