Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Two milestones

I haven't made an enemy out of any sweet young waitresses, but I have had two real good runs in the last couple of days. The MRC run was good just because it was the first time I've been able to run with the group since last April. Injuries truly suck.

Today's run was good because for some reason I felt confident I could go for a little speed without risking injury. I did my first 30 min. at a 9:41 pace after opening with a slow mile. I then averaged 8:44 for the next 36 min. So my overall run was 7.23 miles in 1:06:00, an average pace of 9:08.

I find this encouraging, since it comes exactly one month before the Rock The Parkway half. I was beginning to think I wouldn't be able to muster any speed, which we all know is important even in a distance event. Speed training teaches your muscles how to expel the lactic acid that builds up in distance runs. Too much lactic acid and the race is over, right?

Looking to do 12 - 13 this Saturday. -- Rob

1 comment:

Mike said...

Too damn technical for me!