Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Barefoot Bill

Based on the book I've been touting ("Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall), I decided to try and change my stride as I return to runningt regularly. I going to try and move from my traditional heel strike to a ball of foot strike described in the book as the natural stride our bodies were built for. The fastest way to get there is to try some easy miles running barefoot. Apparently, running barefoot immediately forces you to run more erect, thus properly aligning one's head, spine and legs -- important to get your legs back underneath you -- and it immediately moves you from a heel to ball of foot strike. Running barefoot also forces you to land more softly on your foot and try and run lighter in step. Sounds good, so last night, I tried it out with an easy 2-mile jog on the indoor track at the gym. I actually loved it, but I think 2 miles was too much distance as my calves are very sore today. My plan is to mix in 3x weekly low distance barefoot jogs as warmdowns and see where it takes me. Stayed tuned. Hopefully, I can change my stride without messing up the new loads on muscles still protesting my return to running! -- Bill (look, Mike, we can sign our names!!!)

ps -- my other reason for trying barefoot running is that I can't grow a ponytail, I'm too old for tatoos, and when I try to drink heavily I simply fall asleep....this may be my only option left!!!

No comments: