Saturday, March 27, 2010

Rock the Parkway Half Marathon

I was worried about my hamstring, but I warmed up a little before the race, then started reasonably slowly and kept the pace comfortable. I was just trying to finish without hurting myself, and I wanted to break 2 hours if I could. After laying off running for a week leading up to the race, I didn't have high expectations, but despite the cold and rain, I felt pretty good and was able to gradually increase my pace as the race went on. I walked for about 25 seconds every couple miles through the aid stations to help conserve fuel and keep my legs fresh.

My splits were 9:10, 8:58, 8:54, 8:41, 8:32, 8:33, 8:32, 8:39, 8:33, 8:15, 8:38, 8:29, 7:47 and 1:08. Final time was 1:52:47.

I'm pretty happy with that.

It rained pretty much all the way, and my hands were completely frozen for most of the race, which was more of a discomfort than the weather. The hot shower at home was fabulous.

I predict Rock the Parkway will become a major KC race. They drew about 3,500 people in their inaugural event, the course is not very hilly, especially for Kansas City, and is run in a really nice neighborhood. Organizationally, it seemed to be run pretty well. -- Rob

2 comments:

The Men's Running Club of Kansas City said...

Rob - congratulations on your strong finish. I ran too and will do my own post. Ken

The Men's Running Club of Kansas City said...

Rob -- those splits are amazing! 10 miles right on top of 8:30's. Wow oh wow!!! No wonder you didn't see anyone you knew...you were too far out in front! Well done. -- Bill