Thursday, June 30, 2011

Back Home Again!









In honor of today's 100+ heat, I thought I would post these 3 pictures of Cinque Terre, where I was exactly 1 week ago. Cinque Terre is a string of 5 small villages at the base of huge mountains that crash into the Mediteranean Sea. They are connected by (a) an 8-mile long footpath, (b) local train service, and (c) ferry boat. Lucy and I walked the 1.0 km trail from the first town to the second, took the local train for the rest of our outbound, and returned by ferry. It was gorgeous, and I offer these pictures as temporary relief from the heat today!


Meanwhile, I ended up with only 2 runs over the entire 13-day vacation, which is to say we had a great vacation. Yesterday and today, I logged quick treadmill workouts in the new Lifetime Fitness club we McClaves join (read expansive and expensive. Good-bye Runner's Edge, hello KC Track Club workouts!) and their air conditioning. 2.5 mile jog yesterday and 4.3 miler today. For today, I set the incline at 1 percent to offset the mechanical advantage and jogged 3 miles at 10:30's easy, then ran 3 quarter mile intervals at 9:30, 9:00, and 8:30 pace each. I'm going to try and work faster tempos into the finishing parts of my runs....really need to increase the intensity of my runs and this may work for me. Today was a very small start, but it feels good to be back home and running again! -- Bill

2 comments:

Mike said...

Bill,

I sincerely enjoyed your vacation photos! The third one of the village cascading into the sea is absolutely beautiful! It looks like a painting. I only wish I'd have taken it myself. That puppy would be a 3'x4' wall display! Glad you're back and look forward to seeing you Saturday.

The Men's Running Club of Kansas City said...

My motto: take a thousand pictures....share 1-3 of the best.....look like you know what you're doing!