Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Morning Run In DC

After our fabulous run, dinner, and beers Monday night, followed by great blogs posts from most everyone this week, my biggest frustration this week was 3 straight travel days with no opportunities for a run. Ended up in DC last night and today where the president of The Palm restaurants took us to dinner last night. I'm game anytime someone else wants to pick up the tab for $33 salmon, $12 asperagus, $15 glasses of wine, and $8 gelatos...to which I think the only proper and civilized response is "But, of course." So off we went for a glutanous dinner. Finally this morning, I got in an hour jog around the national mall. I just love DC at 6 am -- beautiful city with morning runners everywhere. My route took me from my hotel to join the mall at the Museum of Natural History (remember to turn left at the bronze triceratops statue on the return), around the Washington memorial (my man, George!), around the WWII memorial (say a prayer for our soldiers), around the Vietnam memorial (another prayer), past the Lincoln memorial (site of memorable speeches by MLK and Forrest Gump), return up the other side of the reflecting pool (which is drained and in the middle of repairs at the moment), then back to my hotel. 5 miles of national history -- great way to start the day.

My run had me on top of the world, but my hotel bill did manage to sober me back up pretty quickly -- $76 for a day's parking. Don't think I'm in Kansas today! -- Bill

4 comments:

Mike said...

Running in DC would be pretty awesome! I did run the Marine Corps Marathon and the Washington DC Marathon, but it's different when you're in a race. You can't enjoy the sights as much if you're focused on your race.

Rob said...

I ran the mall once a few years ago and it was a blast. You forget you're even running, there's so much to see. What I remember most was running right up to the base of the Washington Monument - I wonder if you can still do that?

The Men's Running Club of Kansas City said...

Rob,
You still run right around the base of the Washington Monument. It is totally awesome. I love the combination of tons of people out jogging, the history, and the physical beauty of it all!

Mitchell said...

I also remember staying at a hotel in DC and running to see the sights. It's a great running town. I've done the cherry blossom 10 mile many times and Marine Corp marathon once. early is a great time to run.

-- Mitchell