Monday, June 27, 2011

A great 8

I went down to the river hoping to do some sightseeing while getting my run in, but the park was closed even to pedestrians. Part of the trail in the park was covered with water, but not because the river had gone over its banks - it's still contained. We had a heavy rain last night, and I guess the ground is too saturated and the little feeder creeks too full to absorb anything.
So, I parked the truck and ran out and back alongside Highway 9, going a little ways down a couple side roads to get 8.11 miles in. I didn't take along any kind of fuel belt because I had planned on looping past the truck a couple of times, so the whole run was done without any hydration along the way. At 77 degrees it was just on the verge of being too hot to do that for a run that long, but I drank before I took off and made out just fine.
As is usual these days, it took me a good three miles to warm up, and after that I felt real good. The first three miles were pretty slow, and the last four fast by comparison. I was an average of a minute faster per mile in the second half over the first half. The overall average was 9:20. -- Rob

No comments: