Sunday, June 5, 2011

You can't stop running just because it's hot

Mike and I spent all day at the Kansas Speedway serving margaritas and bloody mary's to auto racing fans who had to endure 95+ degree heat while sitting on aluminum bleacher seats in the direct sunlight. Many, many were under the mistaken impression that vodka and/or tequila would hydrate and cool, and spent a lot of money trying to make it work. All the better for our charities.

I'd been standing for hours and was beat, but when I got home I got thinking about getting a run in and made the snap decision to do a few miles. It was still hot, of course, so I headed to the river trail, where there was some shade and I wouldn't be on the hot, hard pavement. The run really wasn't all that bad. I started slowly to give myself time to acclimate, and kept the pace comfortable. I didn't watch my splits, so when I finished with an average of 9:14, I was surprised. For me that's fast on a blistering hot day. I even had a couple miles in 8:58. -- Rob

1 comment:

Mike said...

Wow, can't believe you ran after spending all day at the NASCAR track! That was probably the last thing on my mind! I went to bed at 8:00 and got up at 5:30. A solid 9.5 hours of sleep. Looking forward to our run tonight.