Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Foot problem

It was raining this evening, so I went to the gym to try to get 7 miles in on the treadmill. With a sore foot, I figured the soft, level surface would make it possible for me to get the distance in.
I was doing OK for 3.5 miles, then all of a sudden the pain got fairly intense and I had to pull up. After a short rest, I gave it another try, but that lasted all of 2 strides and I decided it wasn't worth the risk to keep going. I just climbed off and went home.
I will not run again this week until at least Saturday, and in the interim I'll probably do my workouts on the eliptical trainer. Saturday's run is supposed to be a 20-miler, but I have a feeling that's not going to be possible. If I have to start my taper now to give this a chance to heal, that's what I'll do. I'm in good enough shape that I should still be able to run in Dallas. -- Rob

1 comment:

Bill said...

Rob, this is alarming and reminds me once again of the sheer randomness of running injuries. We'd like to think we can control them by smart workouts, but all we can do is avoid the stupid injuries, which you've done brilliantly this year. This truly sounds like a random injury. Love your idea of staying on the elliptical till your foot recovers. You are in such good shape, you'll be fine to pick up your running when your foot heals.

Bill