Saturday, November 5, 2011

Good early-morning run

With the grandchildren here overnight Friday and for half of Saturday, I decided it was best that I get up early for my 12-mile run. I had promised them a pancake breakfast, and needed to be manning the griddle before 8:30

So, at 5:46 I rolled out of the sack, pulled on my cool-weather gear, laced up my new New Balance 1080s, and headed out in the dark.
I wanted to take it easy on this one, mainly because the arch of my left foot, which became sore as a result of last Saturday's long run, was still a bit iffy. On the level it was fine, but the hills made it hurt. Since my route was fairly hilly, I didn't know if I could do all 12 miles, but I figured an easy pace would give me a good shot.
I opened with a 10:21, followed by 9:56, and then because of my easy pace I was able to improve the pace by an average of 7 seconds per mile for each successive mile. The exceptions were the last two miles, each run in 8:51. I walked about 30 seconds after each mile.
The overall average pace was 9:27 for 12.2 miles. My foot was sore at several points, but the interspersed level stretches kept it manageable.
The pancakes were on the table before 9 a.m. -- Rob

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could have used some pancakes!

Unknown said...

I love it. You did your run and made the pancakes. You don't want your family complaining about your runs, do you?