Sunday, November 13, 2011

Running With Mike

I must report that I have truly enjoyed running with Mike these last 2 Saturdays!  We have had a blast running and talking, and the miles have fallen by quickly -- at least until I ran out of gas each week.

Mike keeps saying we've done our time, our distance, and Dallas will fall -- we just have to go out and run to finish.  I love his confidence, but I'd be an idiot not to notice that I seem to run out of gas and slow down to 12:00 miles or worse:  (a) around 12-13 miles out if the miles are faster, and (b) around 17-18 miles out if the miles are slower.  Bottom line is that I have this feeling that the last 6-8 miles of Dallas may prove to be very interesting for me...

That said, I have several fond memories from our two Saturday runs.  Highlights include:
  • Mike's three (3!!!) number 2 bathroom stops Saturday. 
  • Graphic descriptions of point #1.  Each time.
  • Dan Lara -- you are officially retired from reporting on Amy's race day bathroom management issues.
  • Mike urging me to run much harder for our 6 pace miles in the middle of last weekend's 14 miler.  Ie, "come on McClave, run harder or we're going to have to put a dress on you!"  (wait -- you keep an inventory of women dresses in your trunk? Really?  Do you keep any makeup back there?   Just asking...)
  • Mike's incredibly positive spirit and positive reinforcement. 
Bottom line:  Mike has me believing I will actually finish Dallas in some kind of normal stride (current math be damned).  For that, and all the really bad jokes, I am deeply appreciative!

Our Dallas run weekend should be a riot!

No comments: