Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Best Run of 2010!!

Wasn't sure what I should do today. I used to have a training schedule for all seven days but now that I'm just barely into a re-training situation, I'm just not sure what exactly I should be doing. I suppose it would help if I had a target race as a goal, but right now I'm just trying to get back into some kind of reasonable shape.

Since Mondays five miler with Ken and Rob was a confidence builder I decided to tackle an 8 miler again. Although, this week, instead of running three minutes and walking two minutes, I decided to walk the first half mile to loosen up and stretch the hips then walk one minute at the beginning of each mile.

I began at home and ran through Misty Woods to 9 highway and back. Rob, you know how hilly that course is! I was extremely happy with the run! I was into the third mile when I just felt really great. However, since I've been down this road before, I knew not to put much stock into that. At the 4 mile turn around I headed back home. I kept looking at my watch and it showed that I was running in the mid 8:00 range. For a second or two I thought abut backing off for fear of not being able to finish my run. My second thought was, "So what!" I can always walk and still get a decent workout and burn some calories.

Well, I didn't have to walk other than the one minute at the beginning of each mile. With all the walking, and up hill challenges, I averaged 11:04 per mile. I know that doesn't sound very fast but the course was tough and I'm still overweight and not getting any younger! ......Mike

1 comment:

Rob said...

That's a great run, Mike, and shows you are on the way back. Keep at it, but don't overdo it.